Friday, February 3, 2012

Iraq Still on Embargo

Trying to buy something from the internet was allows a big concern for me, afraid of being scammed or my credit card number stolen. some websites seems to have a special mechanism to detect the location of the visitor, and build their actions based on that.

Within the few times that I failed to buy a product was when I encountered a website that after selecting my item, it gave me this message:

Dear User,

Unfortunately based on your country of origin, Plimus is not allowed to continue this process.
The Office of Foreign Assets Control ("OFAC") of the US Department of the Treasury administers and enforces economic and trade sanctions based on US foreign policy and national security goals. OFACmaintains sanction programs with respect to several countries and to varying degrees. Plimus is obliged to follow US regulations and is therefore not permitted to conduct business with citizens and corporations based in the most stringent sanctioned countries on the OFAC list.

When I referred to the link that they provided to explain their act... I was stunned, they depended on the US Department of the Treasury's Specially Designated Nationals List (SDN List). I don't know if its true or not, I didn't bother to look or confirm.

I think it is ridicules and stupid when a company restrain selling its product or  service to Iraqis in their country, these guys in Plimus are not the only ones, some major websites do that also like Rapidshare, PayPal and a lot others.

I am sure Iraq is no longer on the list.  Didn’t you get the telegram, Saddam Hussein is dead, and the sanctions are gone, and Iraq is one of the major business partners of the United States.

You know it, I know it, most of the world know it…. But these stupid websites/companies seems they didn’t get the telegram yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment