Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Street Sweets for Sale

During my last stay in Iraq I was driving in the capital Baghdad, in the jam of the traffic light of Al-Hurria squire, waiting for the car in front of me move a bit by bit.

While I was waiting, I noticed a young boy trying to sell some Iraqi made sweets called Samsamiyah (made from sesame) to a beautiful girl in her car, the girl did not take the sweets from him and offered him some money just to help him, the amazing thing that he refused and moved away from her car mumbling.


I was next in the line, he approached me smiling and saying do want to buy Samsamiyah?? curious about what happened, I asked him: why didn’t you take the money from the girl? Do  you think I am a beggar?? I’m trying to make a living… so if you want to buy go ahead if you don’t let me go on my way.

Admiring his pride … I told him give me everything you’ve got, I will buy them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment